Monday, November 2, 2009

Greater

Occasionally throughout my walk with the Lord after long times of wandering, I make decisions like: "I'm going to return to the Lord and follow him faithfully, from this point forward and never fail and be superhuman. Amen." (I usually end with amen. Its kind of like saying Ah Ye-Uh!, but its to God.)

You would think a decision like this would only need to be made once.

I was speaking with a brother today who provided me with some encouragement after some intense times of wandering. I, being encouraged, wanted to make my declaration to the Lord, "From this day forward, I will follow my lord faithfully and truly. I will fight in this war against the enemy and I will be victorious. I will be faithful."

Its been six hours, and I've lost count of my betrayals.

Its curious to me the spiritual warfare I am experiencing now. Its quite strong. It stings more, it hurts more; I'm more desperate than ever. Wandering aimlessly was easier than this.

Part of me thinks maybe the declaration route wasn't the way to go. Part of me thinks that a sneak attack on the enemy would have been more effective. As if maybe I could have snuck away and wreaked havoc on him when he least expected it. Its not as if he was expecting anything out of me to begin with. I haven't posed any sort of a threat. I'm the underdog. I'm hopeless. Maybe If I wouldn't have declared my intentions, I would not be under the siege that I am right now.

Instead, I shouted. I charged. I waged war.
Because I am in no need of my battle plan.
No need to organize my schemes.
I need only raging, reckless fury.

The Fury of my faith.

Because I am not the underdog.
Nor am I weak.
Because The LORD does not enter battle quietly,
but with trumpets.
Because swords penetrate from his mouth
and I am with him

Amen. Ah Ye-UH!

The enemy heard me coming. He was ready. He knew where I was weak and he took advantage of me. He hurt me. Part of me hoped that he might just lay down and let me win. But he's the enemy. He is against me. He hates me. Because I am a constant reminder of something greater.

Someone greater.

Greater is the one who is for me, than the one who rallies against me.

Which is why I like trumpets.


1 John 4:3-4

3but every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you have heard is coming and even now is already in the world.

4You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them,
because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world.

No comments: